- Three weeks prior to Barbara Rubel giving birth to triplets, her father died by suicide. Her story was feathered in the Emmy award winning documentary, Fatal Mistakes, Families Shattered by Suicide narrated by Mariette Hartley.
- Barbara has pioneered a unique approach to addressing traumatic loss and vicarious trauma by bringing a deep understanding of thanatology and personal resilience to her work. Audiences learn a practical method to better serve those who are traumatically bereaved while focusing on their own self-care.
- Barbara Rubel, MA, BCETS, DAAETS is a professional speaker and trainer for corporations, conferences, universities, and for government agencies. She is a sought-after keynote speaker and dynamic trainer whose list of clients span more than 500 organizations.
- With refreshing clarity and humor, her speaking engagements are designed to give audiences powerful and practical strategies that can be implemented immediately.
- Barbara is a Board-Certified Expert in Traumatic Stress and Diplomate with the American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress. She received a bachelor of science in psychology and a master of arts degree in community health, with a concentration in thanatology, both from Brooklyn College.
- Barbara is the author of the book, But I Didn’t Say Goodbye: Helping Families After a Suicide (3rd ed.). (2020). She is the author of the widely acclaimed 30-hour continuing education course book for Nurses, Loss, Grief, and Bereavement: Helping Individuals Cope (4th ed.), sold through Western Schools.
- Barbara is also the co-author of the Department of Justice, Office for Victims of Crime Training Curriculum, Compassion Fatigue/Vicarious Trauma. She is a contributing writer to Thin Threads: Grief and Renewal; Open to Hope’s Fresh Grief; Coaching for Results: Expert Advice from 25 Top International Coaches; Keys to a Good Life: Wisdom to Unlock Your Power Within; and Remembering Our Angels.
- Barbara is a consultant with the Department of Justice, Office for Victims of Crime Training and Technical Assistance Center (OVCTTAC).
Best Selling Author
Emmy Award Winning Documentary
Featured in an Emmy award-winning documentary, Fatal Mistakes, narrated by Mariette Hartley. Fatal Mistakes was the winner of the Silver Hugo at the Chicago International Film Festival and first place Chris Award at the 46th Columbus International Film and Video Festival
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Brooklyn College
- Masters of Arts, Community Health with Thanatology concentration, Brooklyn College
- Board Certified Expert in Traumatic Stress
- Diplomate, American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress
- Certified Bereavement Specialist
- Certificate of Advanced Study in The Skilled Helper
- Training in Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM) Basic and Advanced Group Crisis Intervention
- Certified Pastoral Bereavement Counselor
Honors and Awards
- U.S. Dept. of Justice Office of Justice Programs, Office for Victims of Crime, Certificate of Appreciation in recognition of role as guest host of OVC Online Discussion Board
- William T. Cashdollar Distinguished Visiting Professorship Award, The University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Nursing, Memphis, TN
- Plaque of Appreciation for Work Promoting Better Understanding of Sudden Loss and Traumatic Grief, Texans for Equal Justice, Conroe, TX
- 305th Air Mobility Wing McGuire Air Force Base, Presented by the Command Chief Master Sergeant, For Excellence, McGuire Air Force Base, NJ
- Since 2003, Barbara has been a consultant for the U.S. Department of Justice, Office for Victims of Crime. Her keynotes and training programs focus traumatic grief informed care, and building personal resilience in victim services providers while mitigating the impact of compassion fatigue and vicarious trauma.
- University Teaching Experience includes Brooklyn College, City University of New York, Department of Health and Nutrition Sciences
- Graduate courses: Children and Death, Health Crisis Intervention, and Health Counseling
- Undergraduate course: Death, Life and Health
- Guest expert on many episodes of Ch. 8, CN8 Comcast Network television program, Real Life and Family Talk
- Featured on Philadelphia AM Live, Fox TV, and the Telecare Network
- Guest expert on various radio programs including Healing the Grieving Heart National Radio Show, The Radio Ritas, WCSI-AM, IN, Arch Diocese of Metuchen, NJ Catholic Radio, KTOW, MN, KXLP93, MN, WBAL-FM97.9, MD, KLIC-AM12.30, WBAL-FM97.9, MD, KFLO, LA, KIXO, TX, WBSM-AM14.20, MA, WPLJ-FM95.5, NY, WDVR-FM89.7
- Guest expert on drhurd.com Internet radio broadcast
- Featured guest on Internet Programs including Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS) Online Community
- Department of Justice, Office For Victims of Crime, OVC Web Forum online discussion host of Best Practices for Coping with Vicarious Trauma, Ask an Expert about Grief and Bereavement
- Expert advise on workforce.com, an online company for HR business, finalsthoughts.com, and dying.com
Articles and Work Featured in Print Publications
- ADEC Forum, Association for Death Education and Counseling
- Adult Family Caregivers, Impact Publications
- American Association of Sociology Surviving Suicide Newsletter
- Association for Death Education and Counseling Forum (ADEC)
- Bereavement Care Services Ltd.
- Business & Health Magazine
- Catholic Cemetery Magazine
- Central Post
- Clinical and Financial Strategies for the Extended Care Professional (ECPN)
- Columbus Dispatch
- Comforting Friends, Friends for Survival, Inc.
- Employee Assistance Report, Brown Bagger, Impact Publications
- Franklin News Record
- Friends For Survival Newsletter
- Grief Magazine
- Hamilton Observer
- Illness, Crisis & Loss Journal
- Imprint Magazine
- Inland Valley Daily Bulletin
- Knoxville Sentinel
- Lifesavers Newsletter
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Montevideo American News
- Mystic Gateway
- New Jersey Local Boards of Health Association Newsletter
- News & Observer
- Nursing Spectrum, NJ/Upper NY Metro
- Owatonna People’s Press
- Panic Relief News
- Princeton Packet
- Quality Provider OHCA Newsletter
- Recovery Link
- South Brunswick Magazine
- Staten Island Advance
- School Nurse News
- South Brunswick/North Brunswick Sentinel
- Strategies for the Extended Care Professional Journal (ECPN)
- Tragedy Assistance Program (TAPS) Magazine
- Thanatology Newsletter
- The Times
- Visions Magazine